Search This Blog

Saturday, February 5, 2011

If You're Curious About "Us"

That title sounds a little bit like something it's not ;D

But in case anyone was curious about the comment conversation that artist and I had about his piece (see previous post!), I wanted to copy it down for ya. :)

In his "artist's comments" he said, "To me, this painting defines my male perspective of love. I like to think that she is completing his puzzle by placing the final piece, rather than removing it. Which one I intended is a perpetual question to me. It is much more interesting to me to hear what others take from it."

My response: "I definitely saw this as her giving him his final piece, rather than taking it, before I even red the description. Either way it's very clear from the mood their postures give off that this is a tender moment of giving love, rather than taking something (though they both seem somewhat hesitant. Then again, given the nature of love and true vulnerability, that's extremely appropriate!). I love how her other hand is on his hand, as if to calm and reassure him."

Some other chick: "from the little things I notice one might think you didn't have much luck with women P:
cause her hand is grasping the piece in a way which people do when they take.and he isn't looking at her,which makes me think he doesn't like what she's doing."

Me again: P.S. I disagree with (that person) because to me, the hand looked specifically like it was holding to place in! It is a bit ambiguous, for sure, but that was how I saw it.

On second look, though, it strikes me a different way :O_o: like she is taking the piece out, but only to look at and see closely...and then she'll put it back. Which in a way is expressive of an even more intimate emotion, IMO. :heart:

I love love LOVE the vulnerability of his pose. It makes so much sense, to be taken off guard and feel exposed, while someone you love but are afraid to trust - but are taking the leap to trust anyway - removes/completes your heart piece, the final piece.

The artist's response: "You are definitely looking at it the RIGHT way. In that, I mean stumbling over which it may be. I had hoped that the painting would have that effect. You eventually have to...compromise."

My response again: "Maybe the compromise, for me, is not so much settling on one way of viewing it so much as settling on the idea that it will always be in-between, able to reflect either way, in a sort of "push and pull" fashion. It's like instead of the picture giving us "an answer," it gives us a question - and part of the challenge is learning what the question even is. I think that's perfect, for a piece representing the balancing act of learning to emotionally love and trust another person. Maybe neither she nor he know whether or not she's giving or taking - and maybe neither of them know which answer is "right" either. But either way, it's a moment they're sharing, and the blurred lines of ownership - who the piece belongs to, who should have it, where it belongs - lends a new sense of perspective to the phrase "become one flesh," hm? ^^ They obviously aren't in the mature phase of love that couples reach closer to the ends of their lives...but they're at the beginning of it and not sure how to proceed, which I find very tender."

His response: "Beautifully interpreted! I think you have definitely "seen" most of the painting. Thank you."

Signing off, Lauren :)

P.S. last entry, full of typos and skipped words, silly me!

No comments:

Post a Comment