Search This Blog

Friday, February 4, 2011

Hmmmmmmmmmm...

I realized that I love to write my random thoughts and share my silly moments, so lo and behold! A blog! I'll probably tell y'all about my crafty and artistic doings, share random experiences, and let you sneak a peek into the corner of my little mind!

Factoid: In my Freshman year of college when I took my first semester of Arabic, I told my good friend Amanda that la means "no" and nam means "yes". From then she started calling me "Lala" and I called her "Nam-nam". :)

So a couple months ago, I saw this totally gorgeous piece of artwork featured on DeviantART, my art networking site.


Us by *davidofarbela on deviantART

I left a comment just pondering the picture, which led to a little conversation about it, and then - this guy I never new sent me a ntoe asking for my help in seeking publication and professional connections for marketing art and writing! I felt like "whaaaa? I'm just a (then) 21-year-old kid who doesn't do anything professionally and doesn't know anything!" I felt totally overwhelmed, especially since this guy was so talented and knew so little about the internet and marketing and is living with his family on a low-income bracket.

But then I stopped pressuring myself (like "YOU HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY TO KNOW MORE THAN YOU DO SO YOU CAN HELP THIS MAN'S LIFE!!!), and instead started thinking about the things I do know. See, I have this tendency to discount my own knowledge or ability when they're just things that are natural to me, not done for school or work but fun. But after taking a step back, I realized I have a fairly awesome network of artists and publishers. Not to mention I've checked out publishing options so often in anticipation of the day I finish a book that I kind of know tons about where to search for legitimate options.

I ended up writing him this huuuuuge list of options, which he found quite helpful. He was grateful enough to offer me a free piece of art, and since can tell by my gallery (heeeheeeehee) how much I love Legend of Zelda, he's going to do a Zelda piece personally for me. Isn't that super-sweet?! Sweet like awesome. Though I guess it's also sweet like "awww." Sweet like Awwwsome.

Thanks for reading! Look forward to writin' more bloggishness!

Signing off,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment