Search This Blog

Thursday, September 8, 2011

My Wednesday Night

Last night was a bit of a rough night for me. =( It started in the evening with building restlessness and hyper-active-ness during the mid-week mingle, institute and choir - which is not to say that every time I'm over-energetic I'm having issues, of course! But I can feel a difference. In normal situations I'm having fun, mostly, just being silly. And then last night (and the other times I've had stuff like this happen) it was like I couldn't control myself, like the regulatory part of my brain is sitting in the back of my head going "whoa, whoa, slow down!" but can't do anything about it. In hindsight I call this "phase 1." I think I even mentioned that I couldn't breathe right, but then dismissed it as normal and unimportant. But I guess it was related!

So, not long after that, toward the end of choir, I became tired, tearful and overwhelmed. (Phase 2.) After the closing prayer I ran off to try to calm myself down. Then began "phase 3," where I'm dizzy, light-headed, fatigued, and can't move or talk normally. It's like I've just "checked out" or something, you know? Trying to walk was slow and halted. My words only came out after a delay, slow and stuttered. I just couldn't make myself respond to anything in normal time.

Thankfully, my friend Jaimie and Institute/choir director Bro Ritchie were there to help. :) it was very comforting to have a friend nearby, and to hear encouraging words from Bro Ritchie, telling me how much I've improved in the last year and a half and how I was doing a good job trying to talk through it instead of withdrawing to silence. It's easy to feel like having "an episode" at all is a massive failure on my part, but it's really all part of the healing process, isn't it? And though I could feel the potential for it, I didn't go beyond into "phase 4"! (for those of you have seen it, 4 is when it looks like I'm having a seizure or something, but I'm not really, it's just the worst part of the "attack.")

Jaimie drove me home and called Jay from church to give me a priesthood blessing, cause she didn't want to leave me alone in my funky state. My roommate Kim arrived home as well, and gradually I started feeling better, especially at about 5 min after the blessing. Then, time for a good night's sleep, at a decent hour! But not before Kim gave me the BEST advice EVER: spray myself with perfume EVERY DAY so I feel good ;) It's true, the little things count!

So, I always have this internal debate with myself, whether or not to share when things like this happen, with whom and how in-depth. Generally, I share with at least a few people, sometimes many more than I feel strictly "comfortable" exposing my inner life to. But I always feel like it's right. These are the small reasons:
   - Having the people around me understand helps me freak out less the next time something might happen.
   - A part of me does find it therapeutic to share instead of isolate.
   - In this case specifically, writing it out is a comfort.

But this is the big reason: whether to this extent, or less, or MORE, other people have these feelings and go through something like this. It may not go through the same phases I did last night, and you may not necessarily end up in that weird funky state, but the common thread, I find, is a desperate feeling of isolation, of being overwhelmed and inadequate. It doesn't have to get to a point of diagnosed anxiety to hurt and hinder you. The BIG reason I share my story as often as appropriately possible because I want you to know. <i>You are not alone.</i> And it gets better. Your Father in Heaven is always there, full of love and understanding and aid.

That's all :) I plan to have a lovely day today; I hope you do as well!

Lauren

3 comments:

  1. *hugs* for you. I'm sorry it was a rough night, but it does sound like you have some great people around you. Know you are loved . . cuz you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry, honey. But Bro Ritchie is right about the progress. Remember that the neurologist said to go slow and give it at least a year. Learning about yourself and your indications and boundaries is valuable and will help you the rest of your life. Even at a temporary slow pace, you stilll accomplish an amazing # of things, your influence is still valuable and widespread, and you can still "let go" and crazy dance and laugh! So, don't be too discouraged. Certainly NOTHING that indicates failure on your part. You're an amazing good sport with all this - and an. Eternal optimist (like me). It's remarkable how quickly you regroup and are ready to go forward in faith and cheerfulness. Hey, don't get me wrong, other peoples, not a prejudice bone in my body, of course, my daughter Lauren just happens to truly be an amazing one in about 10 million, that's all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even starting over can be a blessing. It can show you just how far you've come. Going at it alone is the worst, it is best to keep your friends close and informed. You are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete