Search This Blog

Monday, August 29, 2011

Too School for Cool

I think that's a silly phrase, though it aptly describes me - I'm more likely to care about school than being cool!

Speaking of which, classes began. I'm just in 6 hours atm (still in the recovery process), but that's working out very nicely thus far. Thus far = after having attended the first class for each of my two classes. THIS time I will STAY ON TOP of things! Which will be much easier with only 2 classes to manage, plus Institute. :)

I'm taking a math class and a science class...oh, woe for all the doomed efforts I've made since freshman year to get my generals out of the way first! Something always foils me.

But in the mean time, this is my last year of school. :) For my bachelor's, anyway. What a relief! I'm pondering moving home for this and next semester, though. Still coming up to Denton all the time, of course, for classes and to chill, but since I have plans to go to Hawaii next semester and finish my last courses online, I may as well change my living arrangements now and save on the expense.

Hawaii will be AWESOME. My sister-in-law invited me out there! The idea is to stay with her and my bro, ideally for 1-3 months, less if it comes down to it, and catch onto the "aloha" spirit of things. It will be super-good for me to live in a place where a.) natural beauty runs rampant and b.) the society around me isn't in constant go-go-go mode. Cuz I need some slow-slow-slow time.

Which reminds me of something I said earlier this year - in the beginning of summer, at Disney World with my fam. I LOVED being there, but most of the time I was more anxious to walk faster, see and do more than the ones I was with! I thought about how great it would be to find a loved one not only able and willing to keep up with me, but who also enjoys the pace and the things I want to do and see. Then I thought about the flip side - cuz on the other hand, I'd really like that someone to be able to slow down and smell the roses / enjoy the silence / chill with me. And the phrase came to my mind that what I'm looking for is someone who'll "go with me when I'm going, and slow with me when I'm slowing." ....yay rhymes! Which can apply to all sorts of metaphysical/spiritual/etc aspects of life. Isn't that nice? :D

Oh, also. Check this out. Randomly this summer, I went through my mama's bookcase and pulled out a book called "Using the Book of Mormon to Combat the Falsehoods of Organic Evolution". I started reading it and I quite like it. This I did, having forgotten entirely that I'm taking a Physical Anthropology class that's all to do with evolution, etc! First class period, though, the prof. (a distinctly non-religious man) made a particular point that ALL "ways of knowing" require faith in SOMETHING/SOMEONE. So, essentially, whether we're putting faith in research and theories, which can easily be skewed or leave out important parts or be interpreted incorrectly, or putting faith in a religion or scripture, which also can be easily misinterpreted etc, one way's not more valid than the other. With the add'l help of the spirit, which confirms truth, both can be validly used to identify what is true and what is not :D

Anyway, I'll write more later about my ideas about grad school. And I promise, that "In Response to Twilight" thing is in the works. It's really hard to maintain a sincere tone instead of a sarcastic one, but I will do it!

Love much,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment